At Treated Timber Products we take caring for the environment very seriously. We continuously endeavor to reach a point where development meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Caring for the environment starts in the plantations:
- Every single pole we produce comes from a commercially established timber plantation that are sustainably grown for the purpose of pole production.
- No indigenous trees are used to produce poles and no natural vegetation is cleared to make space of the planting of commercially grown trees.
- Most of our plantations are FSC ® (Forest Stewardship Council ®) certified (FSC-C122470), we aim to have all farms FSC ® certified by 2018.
- The entire tree is used, we recover what we can in terms of transmission, telephone and fencing poles. Whatever remains is sold as either mining timber, charcoal or pulp.
Our production facilities are industry leaders in terms of reducing their environmental impact while maintaining the highest level of production quality. We ensure this by:
- Voluntary regular environmental audits that go over and above South African regulatory compliance standards.
- All treating plants are SABS ISO 9001 certified.
- Waste management, reject material is used to power our boilers.
- Treatment chemicals are contained in accordance with national regulatory protocols.
TTP has an ongoing and continuously expanding social responsibility program. This includes but is not limited to:
- An ongoing sponsorship of Vuka Primary School. We have provided them with Buildings, a water catchment system, vegetable garden, a library, jungle gym and all their monthly food requirements.
- A Scholarship program at St Nicholas School in Pietermaritzburg giving one underprivileged pupil per year a full scholarship.
- Various donations to many different organizations, schools and Churches
- For further information on our various social responsibility initiatives please have a look at our Facebook page.